AFS group

AFS group
Morten, Ericka, Kennet, Anouk, me, Tone, Kristina, and Kristoffer

My Guayaquilanian AFS groupie :)

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Oops :)

haha, so I guess it is about time that I update my blog... Sorry Sami :)

So let's see... where do I start! Ah, this is bad.
Well, I guess I will start from this weekend and go back from there, yes? Sounds like a plan? Great!!!

So this weekend on Friday I had a Campamento with my work. We went to a place called Montalvo with 50 adolescents that we are working with. It was so much fun! The place was really pretty with lots of tropical plants and such. All the teens were great to talk to. We were split into different groups and played different games and activities. There was also themes given to each group that represent a value that they presented to everyone else. I was the unofficial photographer and there are quite a few interesting model poses that they kept begging me to take. haha, it was all good fun. They also played a game of futbol and they are so amazing! I could just sit and watch them for hours :) the food was amazing, the presentations were fun, and it was great to see all the teens having a good time.

On Saturday I went with my other AFSers to Porto Cayo to hang out at a beach house. I got to play at the beach and that night we played an intense game of Ultimate Spoons!! It was oober intense:) haha, I used SPF 50 at the beach and still got burned!! The next day we got up bright and early and went out in this little tug boat. I couldn't help but sing a few pirate songs to myself:) I felt like I was on LOST, too... anyway, we went out into the sea and got to see some bellenas (whales!) Oh my heck, it was incredible. They are very graceful, beautiful animals, and we got somewhat close to them as well. After we got back on land we drove to a pool with this thick, goopy muck in it. It smelled like raw eggs, no lie. But it was cool, because we got to rub it all over ourselves and our skin felt way soft afterwards. After that we took the three hour ride back home!! I was very exhausted but it was great.

Last week I had my first Operation Amistad. It is where I go directly into the streets and play and talk to the kids that are working. I went with my coworker Emilio and there were probably like 10 kids or so that were running like crazy up to him:) we went to a park with them and played a round of a game similar to red rover. We also colored and played on the swing sets. I loved the kids. There were a couple girls that would always grab my hand while we were walking and they were so sweet. The only hard thing is to see how violent they are. They physically fight with each other a lot, but we aren't allowed to really do anything about it. Our work is a process that takes a long time, so for the present there isn't much I can do:( They just haven't been taught what is right and wrong, and I think that there is a lot of abuse in their homes as well. So I am glad that I get to try and help them overcome that.

Everything is going great with the church as well:) My ward is aweosme. I go with the Vega family, they just live down the street from me. The mother cracks me up, she is hilarious! I am beginning to understand the church lingo a lot better, so I am getting more out of the lessons every single week. And I feel like reading the Book of Mormon in Spanish helps a lot, too. I got to go to the temple already and it is beautiful. There were members there from another city that I got talking to and they were able to teach me some more church words. I also pass the temple every day on my way to work, so it has been a huge blessing:) I am also taking an institute class in the wee hours of the morning (okay, so 7 isn't all that bad) on the Old Testament, and the other day I said my first prayer out loud in spanish!! Yeah!!

So, update on the food... So far I have eaten cow heart, cow tongue, chicken feet, octopus, cow stomach (which was quite disgusting!) and I think that is all so far. I really like the bananas here. I never really cared all that much for them before... but now!! There is a thing called bollon that is verde bananas with queso, there are fried bananas, banana chips, and baked bananas. mmm, delicious! I also really like cocada and this bread called pan de yuca. I am going to have to learn how to cook so that when I get home I will be able to still eat them. I also really like the empanadas. Greasy, horribly unhealthy deliciousness:) I have also killed my first cockcroach, and have survived the mysterious bug bites/blisters that I had on my legs, so I think that I am holding up pretty good if you ask me:)

A couple weeks ago I had another trip with my AFS group for the monthly orientation. I can't believe that I've already been here for a month! We went to this place whose name I don't remember, but we got to take some fun pictures with the statutes, rode horses, hung out with ostriches, and rode this huge zipline! It was really cool:)

Hmmm, ¿que mas? I think that is all that I can think of for now. Sorry that this one is so long!! I hope you enjoyed it anyway:)

¡¡Chiao!!

No comments: