AFS group

AFS group
Morten, Ericka, Kennet, Anouk, me, Tone, Kristina, and Kristoffer

My Guayaquilanian AFS groupie :)

Saturday, August 9, 2008

I'm Lovin' It!!

I love the work that I'm doing!! This was my first real week on the job and it is awesome.

I found out that on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays I get to work out in the sectors and streets of Guayquil. On Monday and Wednesday I did visits in the homes of the kids that we are trying to help. We meet with the family, played games with the kids and made goals for the families to accomplish.

The kids that I have worked with so far are great. The first day I was there they just kept touching my skin and blonde hair, and looking at my blue eyes:) I got to play games with them and listen to them talk with my companion about their goals and such. On Thursday we visited kids in the street. It was muy chevre!:) I played futbol with them (I am awful:)) and there was a group of four little kids that I played with in the park. I have had many great experiences with this work so far and look forward to the ones to come!

I love the people in my ward. I got to go to church and everyone is so welcoming, warm and friendly! There is a boy that is 11 years old (same as Matt!) that speaks very good english and helps me out a lot! He is probably one of my best buds out here:)

I still get homesick every once in a while, but now that I am meeting more new people and making the effort to talk and listen, things are much better. I am already dreading the day that I am going to have to leave! I never thought that this early in the experience I would be wishing that I could stay longer than 5 months!!

1 comment:

Cortni said...

abbyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! aiyaiyai!
(?)
i dunno. i just read a bit about your adventures and i pretty much look like a creepo in the tsc computer lab. serious.

i was excited to read that anouk speaks french, i hope you kept up a bit of the accent for me :)

and WOW, you're speaking spanish and getting lost and playing futball!!! holy crap girl, you have no idea how astounded i am at your adventures. and very jealous ;)

when i moved into my apartment, i really realized how much i miss my old roomies... but life here is muy bueno. busy, but manageable. thank goodness i'm outta the dorms, cause aural skills at 7:30 might just kill me this year :) anyways, take care, and i'm excited to hear about your new adventures!

p.s. have you heard from scott a lot lately? how is that going?